Sunday, July 15, 2012

Book Review: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Publisher: HarperCollins
Publish Date: October 25, 2011 (first published March 2nd, 2010)
Pages: Paperback, 470
ISBN: 9780061726811
Series: None
Source: Bought

Goodreads Synopsis:
What if you only had one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?
Samantha Kingston has it all: looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it turns out to be her last.
The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. Living the last day of her life seven times during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.

My Review:
Before I Fall was an interesting book. It was the same story basically, just told about 7 times. Each time Samantha realizes something about herself and her friends and the way she lived her life. You can't help but feel a bit sorry for Samantha. I'm sure it would be hard enough to relive her death once, but to have to do it over and over? That would be awful and at certain points of the book I could really see the effect it had on Samantha. But once she understood what was happening, it was a bit easier for her and she was expecting it.
I couldn't relate to this book at all. Through high-school I wasn't popular, I didn't drink, go to parties etc so I didn't relate to Samantha or the story and I think that made it a little harder for me to enjoy the story. When I finished Before I Fall, I realized that I didn't mind the book. The end of the book was so much better than the first 3/4 of the book. None of the characters spoke to me, though Kent was a character that I liked. Honestly, Before I Fall isn't a book that I would remember for years to come. There wasn't that one special thing that stood out to me, but I did enjoy Oliver's writing and because of that I added Delirium to my shelf.
I've heard some mixed reviews of Before I Fall, but I know that there are a lot of Lauren Oliver fans out there so sure, read this book, you may enjoy it more than I did!

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird