Friday, February 21, 2020

Book Review: Find Your Pleasure: The Art of Living A More Joyful Life by Cynthia Loyst

Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publish Date: January 7th, 2020
Series: None
Source: E-Galley from publisher in exchange for honest review

Goodreads Synopsis:

Find Your Pleasure is a pleasure revolution: where society has told women to feel guilty or ashamed for embracing pleasures, Cynthia Loyst shows you how to get to the heart of what you need and want, in every aspect of life.


Live: Uncover the beauty of everyday moments, celebrate family and friends, find fun and satisfaction in your workdays, and enjoy the immense rewards parenting has to offer—all while being mindful of taking care of yourself.
Love: Cynthia reveals everything from learning to enjoy your body more, ways to feel intimate and communicate effectively with your partner, and the keys to having better sex.
Inspire: Find out how to let your creative self bloom, seek out exciting new pathways in life, and let kindness guide you with Cynthia’s tips and tricks for mastering mindfulness and meditation.

Through her insightful anecdotes, Cynthia empowers women to revel in all of life’s joys, even the messy ones. Filled with beautiful color photographs, Find Your Pleasure is a treat for the soul that you can devour in one go or savor in tiny bites.


My Review:

What a simple thought this is...do what brings you pleasure in life, and don't feel bad about it. But like most people, I find this hard. I don't have time, I don't have the energy, I should do something else instead...etc. But Cynthia Loyst writes that it doesn't need to be super difficult or time consuming (if we choose), and we don't need to feel guilty for taking time to do what we love. I love these movements that have taken over - find a more joyful life, kon-mari your space - I'm not usually one to jump on these so-called "bandwagons", but there's something about simplicity and joyfulness that resonates with me this time around, which is why I wanted to read this book - I also really like Cynthia on The Social! And trust me when I say I'm working on this and decluttering my home, and man it feels great!

While Cynthia is first and foremost a relationship/sexual health columnist/writer, Find Your Pleasure doesn't only focus on those aspects. In this book she talks about finding pleasure with family, friends, in your work life, and home life. Plants make you feel happy? Fill your home with them! Want to lay in a hot bath for hours? Do it and lock the door so no one can bother you!

She writes about how women feel guilty taking time for themselves and how we stop doing the things we love for us becuase we've been engrained to feel this way from society. On Instagram I follow a lot of advocates (body positivity, equality, etc) and I'd say it's people like them and Cynthia Loyst that are paving way for a more accepting world a little each day, and I applaud them. Now excuse me while I go drink my coffee, and listen to Justin Bieber, because right now that's what brings me pleasure!

1 comment:

Harley said...

Grateful for you writing this



blogger template by lovebird