Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Book Review: Shatter the Sky by Rebecca Kim Wells

Publish Date: July 30th, 2019
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Series: Shatter the Sky #1
Source: ARC from publisher in exchange for honest review

Goodreads Synopsis:


Raised among the ruins of a conquered mountain nation, Maren dreams only of sharing a quiet life with her girlfriend Kaia—until the day Kaia is abducted by the Aurati, prophetic agents of the emperor, and forced to join their ranks. Desperate to save her, Maren hatches a plan to steal one of the emperor’s coveted dragons and storm the Aurati stronghold.
If Maren is to have any hope of succeeding, she must become an apprentice to the Aromatory—the emperor’s mysterious dragon trainer. But Maren is unprepared for the dangerous secrets she uncovers: rumors of a lost prince, a brewing rebellion, and a prophecy that threatens to shatter the empire itself. Not to mention the strange dreams she’s been having about a beast deep underground…
With time running out, can Maren survive long enough to rescue Kaia from impending death? Or could it be that Maren is destined for something greater than she could have ever imagined?

My Review:

I struggled to get into this book for some reason. I'm not too sure why, it just didn't hook me immediately. But I was not willing to give up, I knew there was something to Shatter the Sky and I'm glad that I kept to it. I don't actually read a lot of fantasy books like this so that may explain the lack of interest right away. 

Maren and Kaia, two girls in love are separated and Maren sets out in a world unknown to her to find and rescue Kaia and along the way learns so much about herself and the world she lives in. I wouldn't say that there was anything that made Maren stand out as a main character, I think I preferred Kaia and her carefree, exotic ways, but seeing as Maren was on the rescue mission, we got to follow along with her. 

I will say that once the dragons entered the picture, the story became more enjoyable and we'll see what Storm the Earth (book #2) brings us in 2020. I think overall, Shatter the Sky was a good debut but I have so many unanswered questions and a need to know more. 

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird