Sunday, April 15, 2018

Book Review: Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi


Publish Date: March 27, 2018
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Series: Stand Alone
Source: ARC ebook from Netgalley

Goodreads Synopsis:

For Penny Lee high school was a total nonevent. Her friends were okay, her grades were fine, and while she somehow managed to land a boyfriend, he doesn’t actually know anything about her. When Penny heads to college in Austin, Texas, to learn how to become a writer, it’s seventy-nine miles and a zillion light years away from everything she can’t wait to leave behind.
Sam’s stuck. Literally, figuratively, emotionally, financially. He works at a café and sleeps there too, on a mattress on the floor of an empty storage room upstairs. He knows that this is the god-awful chapter of his life that will serve as inspiration for when he’s a famous movie director but right this second the seventeen bucks in his checking account and his dying laptop are really testing him.
When Sam and Penny cross paths it’s less meet-cute and more a collision of unbearable awkwardness. Still, they swap numbers and stay in touch—via text—and soon become digitally inseparable, sharing their deepest anxieties and secret dreams without the humiliating weirdness of having to see each other.


My Review:

I actually found this book super hard to get into. In fact, I couldn't. I tried so many times at first and found myself thinking of just about anything else. I knew I needed to read it for NetGalley and get a review up, so one night, I started again. Once I set my sights on actually reading it, I found that I was enjoying it! It was funny, heartfelt and I was finally looking forward to being able to read, and then it "expired" and I couldn't read my galley copy any longer! 
So to be honest, I can't write a fair review. I will say I have heard amazing things about Emergency Contact and the reviews are so good. I'd love to pick up this book at some time, and give it a second chance for sure!
If you've read it, what did you think?

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird