Monday, August 15, 2011

Book Review: Witchlanders by Lena Coakley

Publish Date: August 30, 2011
Publisher: Atheneum
Pages: 400
ISBN: 978-1-4424-3229-1
Series: I couldn't find any info but it seems as if it will be a series...
Source: ARC sent from the publisher

Goodreads Synopsis:
High in their mountain covens, red witches pray to the Goddess, protecting the Witchlands by throwing the bones and foretelling the future.

It’s all a fake.

At least, that’s what Ryder thinks. He doubts the witches really deserve their tithes—one quarter of all the crops his village can produce. And even if they can predict the future, what danger is there to foretell, now that his people’s old enemy, the Baen, has been defeated?

But when a terrifying new magic threatens both his village and the coven, Ryder must confront the beautiful and silent witch who holds all the secrets. Everything he’s ever believed about witches, the Baen, magic and about himself will change, when he discovers that the prophecies he’s always scorned—

Are about him.

My Review:
Straight up, Witchlanders wasn't my cup of tea. It took me so long to get into the story. I started it, than started another books - finished them - then went back to this one. I just couldn't get into it. Witchlanders started out dull to me, there wasn't enough to keep me interested. Ryder, the main character, worked in the hicca fields to support his family. Mabis was dependent on a drug like flower and everyone wanted more than what they had. And there was some background information on the Witchlanders and the Baen, but as I said, there wasn't enough.
Lena Coakley's writing wasn't terrible, I just couldn't get into it. Though after I finished about half the book, it started to look up! Ryder set out on an adventure and the story took shape. The characters grew, the plot thickened and I was captivated. But this didn't last till the end unfortunately. It was over within a few chapters.
I really did like Ryder though, he was a strong character and it was nice to see a female author write a male main character and do it easily and make it work. Ryder has to take on a lot of responsibilities and his stubborn and reluctant attitude flow well with the story.
The idea of witches, witch magic and throwing bones to see outcomings is original and I was definitely intrigued. But I just couldn't get into it. There were so many good moments throughout Witchlanders that had me on the edge of my seat, pushing me to read more, but not enough of those moments to make this debut novel a memorable read for me.

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird