Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Book Review: Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender

Publish Date: June 22, 2010 (First published April 21, 2009)
Publisher: Hyperion
Pages: 352 -- Paperback edition
ISBN: 978-1-4231-0877-1
Series: Bad Girls Don't Die #1
Source: Bought

Goodreads Synopsis:
When Alexis's little sister Kasey becomes obsessed with an antique doll, Alexis thinks nothing of it. Kasey is a weird kid. Period. Alexis is considered weird, too, by the kids in her high school, by her parents, even by her own Goth friends. Things get weirder, though, when the old house they live in starts changing. Doors open and close by themselves; water boils on the unlit stove; and an unplugged air conditioner turns the house cold enough to see their breath in. Kasey is changing, too. Her blue eyes go green and she speaks in old-fashioned language, then forgets chunks of time.
Most disturbing of all is the dangerous new chip on Kasey's shoulder. The formerly gentle, doll-loving child is gone, and the new Kasey is angry. Alexis is the only one who can stop her sister -- but what if that green-eyed girl isn't even Kasey anymore?

My Review:
Bad Girls Don't Die has this totally creepy cover, I love it! From the first time I saw it, I was intruiged then I was send the second (From Bad to Cursed) novel in the series and knew I need to read BGDD.
I think I had high expectation for this book. I wanted it to be creepy and super scary. I mean, antique dolls? - I was expecting doll heads twisting around, dolls walking and talking but I didn't get any of that. I didn't even get the creepy feeling I look forward to when reading these books. It could be that I read most of this book while laying at the beach, not the ideal place to read this type of book - I know. But even the occasional nights I did read some, I wasn't freaked out or all that convinced that I was reading a "scary" book.
I do love the idea of a girl who collects dolls, then gets possesed by one - it's neat and has potential to be great but unfortunately it wasn't executed well in Bad Girls Don't Die, in my opinion. I think the first few chapters were the best, but then the author seemed like she wanted to add a love interest to the story then almost forgot to take it anywhere, but the thought kept popping into the story. I found it a little all over the place to be honest. The writing was alright, I didn't have enough to paint the story or see the characters (or dolls) come to life in my head.
Overall, the foundation of Bad Girls Don't Die is there, but I think it needed to be built up a little more. I will be reading From Bad to Cursed to see where Katie Alender takes us next though.

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird