Saturday, June 25, 2011

Book Review - Wildefire by Karsten Knight

Publish Date: July 26, 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pages: 393
ISBN: 9781442421172
Series: Wildefire
Source: ARC from Simon & Schuster

Goodreads Synopsis:

Every flame begins with a spark.
Ashline Wilde is having a rough sophomore year. She’s struggling to find her place as the only Polynesian girl in school, her boyfriend just cheated on her, and now her runaway sister, Eve, has decided to barge back into her life. When Eve’s violent behavior escalates and she does the unthinkable, Ash transfers to a remote private school nestled in California’s redwoods, hoping to put the tragedy behind her. But her fresh start at Blackwood Academy doesn’t go as planned. Just as Ash is beginning to enjoy the perks of her new school—being captain of the tennis team, a steamy romance with a hot, local park ranger—Ash discovers that a group of gods and goddesses have mysteriously enrolled at Blackwood…and she’s one of them. To make matters worse, Eve has resurfaced to haunt Ash, and she’s got some strange abilities of her own. With a war between the gods looming over campus, Ash must master the new fire smoldering within before she clashes with her sister one more time… And when warm and cold fronts collide, there’s guaranteed to be a storm.

My Review:
I had no idea what this book was about or anything else until it ended up in my mailbox and then I looked around online. I was amazed at how many readers were (and still are) anxiously awaiting Wildefire. First off, the cover is gorgeous, the Lilly and the purple and the smoke are so eye-catching!
While reading Wildefire, my first thought was that the author is trying too hard. There were words in the sentences that just didn't need to be so big and long. I mean sure, we don't need to use simple words for everything, but I found his wording to be excessive sometimes. Like 2 or 3 words in one sentence that aren't familiar so sounding them out and making sure I had the right meaning would actually make me lose the whole importance to of the sentence. Other than this one set back, the novel was phenomenal!
I've yet to read a book about Polynesian gods and goddesses and I found it very interesting. I'm definitely looking forward to reading the second book in Karsten Knight's series and getting some more useful facts and info on the gods and goddesses. Also, with the next book, I'm hoping to get a little more character development with Ade and the others. Knight did have some development here, but in order to connect some more and really know the characters personally, I need more in the next book. (I know there was the part about the types of gods/goddesses they are, and believe me, that part was excellent and I really enjoyed it, but something is missing)
Ash and Eve are great characters though. We learn a bit about them and why Eve is the way she is, and why she does the things she does. I absolutely love Ash and her sarcastic tongue. She was entertaining and I'm glad Knight kept that up throughout the whole novel. We learn a little something about Colt that will make for an interesting plot in upcoming novels, and the cliffhanger at the end of the book had me turning back pages to make sure I had it right.
I read this books quickly and now I'm ready for the next one by Karsten Knight. I think we're in for some good and promising novels and I, for one cannot wait!
Pick up Wildefire when you can, it's a thrilling read and will keep you up until the wee hours of the night!

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird