Monday, March 28, 2011

Book Review - Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult

Publish Date: March 1st, 2011
Publisher: Atria
Pages: 466
ISBN: 978-1-4391-0272-5
Series: None
Source: Simon & Schuster

Summary:
One miscarriage too many spelled the end of Max and Zoe Baxter's marriage. Though the former couple went quite separate ways, their fates remained entangled: After veering into alcoholism, Max is saved in multiple senses by his fundamentalist conversion; Zoe, for her part, finds healing relief in music therapy and the friendship, then romantic love with Vanessa, her counselor. After Zoe and Vanessa, now married, decide to have a baby, they realize that they must join battle with Max, who objects on both religious and financial grounds. Like her House Rules and several other previous Jodi Picoult novels, Sing You Home grapples with hot button issues.

My Review:
I love Jodi Picoult, I'd have to say that she is my favourite author. I've been reading her books since I was in highschool and I did a project on The Pact (my favourite of hers). And I just devour her books!
Sing You Home took a little more time for me to get into, maybe just because my daughter was having surgery, then March Break and work, but when I could sit down and read it, it was worth it. I did find the story to move faster than Picoult's other books - almost like she just wanted to get to the end of the book, and get her point made, but that was just a little downfall, that didn't ruin the book at all.
Zoe is such a strong character. And I mean this in more ways than one. Not only is she written stong by Picoult, she is an emotionally strong character. For all that she goes through, she stays as tough as she can, and that's amazing. We meet a young girl named Lucy and I would have loved to have seen more from her. She was such a great addition to Sing You Home, and I was eager for scenes with her in it.
It is so obvious that Jodi Picoult researches everything she puts (and doesn't put) into her novels. She doesn't miss a beat throughout Sing You Home. She shows her knowledge in music, music therapy, infertility, IVF, embryos, and of course - law. I live for Picoult's court scenes: the bantering, the pleas, the arguments, and the raw emotion, they all play in my head like a movie and this book was no exception.
Sing You Home is a must read! It will get you talking (I mean, I could go on about gay rights, frozen embryos, religion and many more issues that are brought up in the book, but this is a review. I'll save my opinions on these issues for my bookclub discussions).
Jodi Picoult deals with tough issues, and throughout her books she makes clear arugments from all points of her characters, and this I don't imagine is easy. Once again, Jodi Picoult has proven herself to be a masterful writer.

1 comment:

Lynda said...

Sounds like a great book! I enjoy reading your reviews on all your books.



blogger template by lovebird