Friday, September 3, 2010

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Published: August 31, 2000
Publisher: Raincoast Books

Summary: Harry Potter thinks he is an ordinary boy - until he is rescued by an owl, taken to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, learns to play Quidditch and does battle in a deadly duel. The Reason: Harry Potter is a wizard!

My Review: Just a quick note here, this is my second time reading this wonderful series, but this time around, I’m reading them with my daughter. (Who, to be honest, has always had a bit of a fascination with Harry Potter) So with that said… what a truly great read this was! It was simple, but complex enough to keep it interesting. J.K Rowling has a way with words when writing and I love how she pulls the reader in. I was laughing throughout this book, and engaged while reading. (My daughter was too during reading time and after when she was running around casting spells and such)
The characters in Harry Potter are wonderful, and believable. We have Harry Potter who is an amazing kid, and been through so much in his life but still manages to have integrity and honour. Next we have Ron, and he’s just a funny guy who is a little misunderstood because of his hand-me down robes and his red hair and freckles. Hermione is a rule following, teachers pet kind of gal that we all love because of her intellect and her ability to keep Harry and Ron out of harms way (some of the time). But one of my favourites is Neville and that might be because I hear about him none stop when my daughter talks about the books. He is just a one of a kind character!
The story-line of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone is creative, the plot has twists and turns, the writing style is flawless and the characters are absolutely unforgettable. Overall, I would definitely recommend this magical read to children and adult alike!

1 comment:

Ashley Delgado said...

Hey thanks for the great review!

I'm a new follower, I found you through Random Buzzers. I would really appreciate if you followed me too.
http://whatsyourstorybookreviews.blogspot.com/



blogger template by lovebird